.....come enjoy some handmade creations and heartfelt experiences. I'm glad you're here & hope you'll come back often.

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Happy "Extended" Halloween!

Hi there!  Since Halloween was on Thursday, I know a lot of people are celebrating an extended Halloween.  Seems like there's still  lots of costume parties and other festivities going on this weekend.  And since I've been busy with the kids' Halloween activities; I thought I'd join in on the extended fun and share this fun Halloween card I did for Sparkle N Sprinkle a little while back.


 This is a great digital image from Beccy Muir called Haunted Birdhouse.  This image really spoke to me because I wasn't in the mood for a "cute" image and yet I get tired of all the "blood & gore" type things you often see for Halloween (not in stamps per se, but I think you know what I mean).  I thought this image was a great happy medium - neither of the other two categories, but just a little eerie/spooky.

I was also thinking that digital stamps were a great way to go to collect some great images that you only use once a year.  Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of wooden & clear mount stamps for all the different holidays sitting around here.  But then I have to find somewhere to pack them away after the holiday is over.  With the digital stamps I can get bunches and bunches of great "once a year" images and I don't even have to pack them away when the holiday is over!  Yay!


And I love how this card came out!  I'm no expert with alcohol markers by any means; but I just dig in and try my best.  I really take my time and keep working at it until I get it as close to the way I want it as I can.  I know some people /artists can zip through a scene like this lickety split.  Not me lol!  So I'm always thrilled when it ends up coming out the way I had imagined it - Love it!
 
Check out all that shine on the banner!
I made this adorable saying banner using 2 pre-printed sayings from a paper I had from Pebbles "Trick and Treat" collection.  The Happy Halloween banner was cut out and covered with clear embossing powder.  I added 2 or 3 layers for some thickness and amazing shine.  To the tiny Oct 31 saying, I added a hand drawn black border to tie in all the blacks in the card and then attached it behind the main banner.  The whole banner is popped up on some black "pop dots" from 3L/ Scrapbook Adhesives.  I LOVE those things!!  I use white "pop dots" (dimensionals, adhesive foam) all the time too.....But these ones with their black foam; they almost "disappear" on many of your projects!  I've been using them for a couple of years & now SNS just started carrying them - yay!  If you haven't tried them yet; you definitely need to check those out!! (click on the bold text to go there)  Full instructions for this card can be found in the SNS Art Gallery here.


Well, I hope you enjoyed my little bit of Halloween fun as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you!  Hope you had a great Halloween and if you're still celebrating - have fun and be safe!  And Don't forget to let me know you stopped by - I always love and appreciate your visits!!

Until next time,
***Julie***

8 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

I just LOVE this card! It looks amazing. We miss you SO much, Miss Julie, and hope all is going well for you. The coloring on this card is phenomenal, and really captures the haunted bird house LOL So pretty! Hope you are enjoying the season's change and that the weather is not being too terrible to you. hugs, de

Gerlinde said...

Great card! Love the coloring and the background papers are perfect!

Shona Erlenborn said...

Wow Julie, this is awesome! Love the coloring - it really came out very well! I agree about all the spooky stuff. I love just the "spooky-enough" raven! Great card!

Anne Temple said...

Your Halloween card is adorable! Love your coloring and the backing papers are great. What a great way to think about digis too.

Unknown said...

I was not expecting halloween

Leigh Penner said...

Hi Julie,
Thanks so leaving the comment on my blog recently! I just wanted to let you know that I updated the recipes and now have the Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls recipe listed: http://leighpenner.blogspot.ca/p/galleries.html
Leigh

Unknown said...

I'm having a weird problem I cannot make my reader pick up your feed, I'm using google reader fyi.
Thanks for good article. Hope to see more soon.
indian lifestyle
When I open up your RSS feed it gives me a bunch of garbled text, is the malfunction on my side?
e, bye!
love-binding-spell-caster

amelia jac said...

I'm having a weird problem I cannot make my reader pick up your feed, I'm using google reader fyi.
Thanks for good article. Hope to see more soon.